The 2021 Platinum Awards are aiming to shine a spotlight on business and culture in a whole new way.
Rnold Smith, CEO of the New Westminster Chamber of Commerce, said the Platinum Awards are an opportunity for the city to celebrate businesses that are committed to excellence. This year’s event features new awards for diversity and inclusion, wellness and business adaptation.
“It is a chance to celebrate the individuals and organizations who contribute to the community,” Smith said in a statement to the Record. “Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we have completely revamped the format, and this year’s awards feature the videos of 30 nominee finalists, which can be seen at NewWest.tv, who has partnered with us to produce this year’s awards.”
The Platinum Awards virtual show is on Thursday, April 29 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. In addition to networking opportunities, it will feature some inspiring stories from nominees, “Bad Dad Jokes” and “the Community Cheers Game.”
Here are this year’s Platinum Awards finalists:
* Customer Service Excellence: Taverna Greka; Piva Modern Italian Restaurant; and Kinder Books.
* Community Spirit: Piva Modern Italian Restaurant; Bosley’s Pet Centre; and Stephanie Lam.
* Business Adaptation: Mila + Paige; Paws Vet Centre; and Piva Modern Italian Restaurant.
* Home Based Business of the Year: White Shirt Design; the Pirate and the Gypsy; and Stephanie Lam.
* Bernie Legge Cultural Award: Stephanie Swinnard; Cassius Khan; and Christopher McFadden/Piva.
* Green Business of the Year: The Refill Stop; Cap’s Bikes; and Mila + Paige.
* Not for Profit of the Year: Downtown New West BIA; Royal City Rotary Club; and Found Boutique .
* Wellness Champion: Tone Every Zone; Hawkes Martial Arts; and The Beverley.
* Diversity and Inclusion Champion: Yorkville University; Kinder Books; and Hawkes Martial Arts.
* New Business of the Year: The Craft Café; Found Boutique; and White Shirt Design.
The New Westminster Citizen of the Year is normally named at the Platinum Awards, but that honour will be announced later in the year.
“We are planning on giving away the Citizen of the Year Award, as well as Life Time Achievement Awards, during our Thank-a-thon Gala in October,” Smith noted.
The New Westminster Chamber of Commerce suggests Platinum Award attendees support local businesses by having a watch party with their bubble and ordering takeout and refreshments from local businesses. VIP tickets are $75 (which includes a $50 gift certificate to Piva Modern Italian Restaurant) or $35 (without the Piva gift certificate.)
To register for the Platinum Awards, go to www.newwestchamber.com/events.