If you have a story to share, the Royal City Literary Arts Society wants to read it.
The New Westminster-based group is calling for entries for its annual Write On! contest, which awards cash prizes in three categories: fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
Fiction and non-fiction entries can be up to 1,500 words, maximum, while poetry can be up to one page single-spaced.
Previously published work can be entered provided the author retains copyright. Previous Write On! entries that won or earned honourable mention can not be submitted again, but previous entries that didn't place in a past contest are welcome.
The first-place winner in each category takes $150, with second place taking $100 and third place $75. Three honourable mentions are also awarded, and all winners and honourable mentions will be published in the RCLAS e-zine, Wordplay at Work. (Curious to know who's won in the past? You can check out past winners in 2022 editions of the e-zine. Find fiction winners in the summer issue, poetry winners in the September issue, and non-fiction winners in the October/November issue.)
If you want to enter, here's what you need to know:
- Entry deadline is April 15.
- The submission fee is $10 for one story or poem for RCLAS members; $20 for one story or poem for non-members.
- The contest has a maximum of three submissions per person (combined, in any or all three categories).
- Submit entry as a Word document, in Times New Roman, 12-point font.
- Include your name, address, email, phone, category, title and payment option in the body of the email. Do not include your name anywhere on your Word document attachment.
- Judging is blind; submissions to judges are anonymous.
How to send in your Write On! 2023 entries
You have two ways to pay for your entry: online or by mail.
- Online: Use the Paypal link at the RCLAS website and email your entry to email@example.com.
- By mail: Mail your cheque or money order to:Royal City Literary Arts Society, Box 308 – 720 Sixth St., New Westminster, B.C., V3L 3C5. E-mail your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Do not mail in your submission. Poems and stories will only be accepted by email.)
You can buy a Royal City Literary Arts Society membership for $35 per year. See the Write On! 2023 contest website for more details.