Fraser Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Queen’s Park Care Centre in New Westminster.
Two residents have tested positive for the virus, according to a Sunday evening press release from the health authority.
Queen’s Park Care Centre is a long-term care facility owned and operated by Fraser Health. The residents are currently in self-isolation at their homes.
The outbreak comes just shy of a year after an earlier reported outbreak at the facility. A report from the B.C. Seniors' Advocate notes the care centre had an outbreak from Oct. 23 to Nov. 5 of last year (2020), which affected just one staff member and no residents.
The care centre then saw an outbreak between Nov. 22 and Dec. 24, 2020, which involved 14 cases (10 residents and four staff) and ended in four residents' deaths.
Regarding the current outbreak, Fraser Health says enhanced control measures have been put in place at the site.
"Fraser Health is working to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all staff, residents and families," the news release says.
Fraser Health has implemented the following measures at the site:
- Staffing levels are being supported to maintain resident care.
- Social visits are restricted in the affected areas of the facility. Essential visits can continue.
- Staff and residents movement in the affected areas of the facility has been modified to minimize exposure to others.
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been further enhanced.
- Residents, families and staff are being notified.
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents is taking place.
- Additional testing and screening is in place to support monitoring of disease control.
During this time, Fraser Health has additional presence at the site to take any further actions required and support the facility. This includes dedicated people to address quality, answer questions from staff, residents and family, and provide active checks of symptoms with staff and residents.
REMINDER: GET TESTED IF YOU HAVE EVEN MILD SYMPTOMS
Fraser Health said it is "critically important" for people living in the Fraser Health region to get tested as soon as they have COVID-19-like symptoms, even mild ones.
People living in the Fraser Health region can find information about test collection centres by visiting Fraser Health’s website.
To book a COVID-19 testing appointment, complete a COVID-19 test booking form.
For more information about COVID-19, visit fraserhealth.ca/covid19.