1. Check out the show of a comedian described as “edgy, charming and hilarious” when Dylan Rhymer takes to the stage at Lafflines Comedy Club on Friday, Jan. 11 (9 p.m.) and Saturday, Jan. 12 (8 p.m.). Doors open one hour before show time. Lafflines is in the Columbia Theatre at 530 Columbia St. Tickets are $20 and are available at www.eventbrite.ca (search for Dylan Rhymer).
2. Grab an umbrella and take a ride on the Q to Q ferry and then enjoy a stroll on along the Queensborough waterfront or the Quayside esplanade. The ferry runs from 6 to 9 a.m. and noon to 8 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekends and statutory holidays and 6 to 9 a.m. and noon to 7 p.m. Monday to Thursday. One way tickets are $2 or $1 for seniors over 65, children six to 18 years and people with disabilities. If you have exact change you can pay on board, or you can buy tickets and passes in advance at Queensborough Community Centre, Centennial Community Centre, city hall and shops in River Market (Craft Café, Jolene’s Natural Soaps, Paddlewheeler Liquor Store and Origins Chocolates Bar).
3. Start the new year by tapping into your creative side at the Bamboo Paint and Sip Night, a parting session for beginners that takes place on Friday, Jan. 11 from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at 100 Braid Street Studios. Enjoy a glass of wine or beer and snacks at this event, where artist Iris Mes-Low leads you through the painting part step-by-step. Tickets and details at www.eventbrite.ca – search for Bamboo Paint & Sip Night. (If you’re this Friday, three’s all kinds of paint and sip nights coming up in the weeks ahead.)
4. Head to the Heritage Grill to enjoy some live music. The Red Stars (rockabilly) play on Friday, Jan. 11 at 8 p.m., the Corey Lavigne Band (blues) performs on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 8 p.m. and Super Rock Sun Daze (rock) is on Sunday, Jan. 13 at 8 p.m. The Heritage Grill is at 447 Columbia St.
5. Shop for vintage attire at the Gemini Rising vintage goodbye party on Saturday, Jan. 12 from noon to 5 p.m. at 43 Sixth St. In preparation for its closure, everything in the store is 40 per cent off. Details at www.geminirisingvintage.com.
Email your Top 5 ideas to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.