While summer is a great time to visit local parks and pools and attend festivals, it’s also a great time to explore some of the businesses around town. Here’s a few you may want to check out this summer.
* Kick it old school at Capital City Arcade, where folks of all ages can play classic arcade games like Windjammers, Simpsons, NBA Jam and Bubble Bobble. It’s at 457 East Columbia St. in Sapperton. Info: Capital City Arcade on Facebook
* Try to get free at Pandora’s Locks, which offers three mystery escape rooms. Small teams will look for clues, decode secret messages, work as a team – and try to get out of the room. It’s at 405 Columbia St. Info: www.pandoraslocks.ca.
* Enjoy a cruise on the Mighty Fraser with Paddlewheeler Riverboat Tours, which offers a variety of excursions including pub nights, sunset dinner cruises, lunch cruises and much more. Info: www.vancouverpaddlewheeler.com.
* Imagine you’re vacationing in wine country and pop in to Pacific Breeze Urban Winery, which produces hand-crafted small lot wines – right here in New West. Canada’s first Garagiste (garage winery), Pacific Breeze offers tours, tastings and wine sales at 6 – 320 Stewardson Way. Info: www.pacificbreezewinery.com.
* Test out your skills at Boorman Archery, were you can take classes and learn archery from professional instructors. It also offers summer camps for kids. Info: www.boormanarchery.com.
* Enjoy a cold one at the two craft breweries that call New West home. The award-winning Steel and Oak Brewing Co. and the newly opened Another Beer Co. both have lounges where you can enjoy a brew. Steel & Oak is at 1319 Third Ave. (www.steelandoak.ca) and Another Beer Co. is at #11-30 Capilano Way – a short walk away from the Sapperton SkyTrain station (www.anotherbeerco.com.)
* Reach for the top at the Vancouver Circus School, where people of all ages can sign up for classes and weeklong camps. It’s located on the upper floor of River Market, 810 Quayside Dr. Info: www.vancouvercircusschool.ca.