I was surprised to learn that New Westminster hadn’t banned open hearth fireplaces already. While some homes may use their fireplaces occasionally for special events four or five times a year, many people suffer 365 days a year with respiratory difficulties.
In my neighbourhood, there are at least three or four homes with fireplaces. The smoke that is emitted from their chimneys can be smelled inside other people’s homes. Recently, the black smoke that came from one chimney was so toxic looking that it could not be from wood burning but trash or something else, and who knows what toxins were in the air that day!
I look forward to the day when all wood-burning fireplaces are banned throughout our city and the Greater Vancouver area.
Mabel Hadden, New Westminster