For those of us who are slightly addicted to choral music, there's always a little bit of sadness attached to the arrival of summer - because it usually means we don't have any more rehearsals and concerts to look forward to until fall.
Fortunately, however, local choral fans need not despair quite yet. There are still several excellent choral offerings for those of us who are already pining away for our four-or-more-part fix.
If you're looking for some choral treats, check out these offerings:
* VanDeca Choir: This 12-voice ensemble is offering up The Evolution of Music - which, as its name implies, traces music right from its earliest days up to contemporary times. It's happening at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 7 at Olivet Baptist Church, 613 Queens Ave. in New Westminster. Tickets are $15 at the door, or free for children 12 and under. Email email@example.com or see vandecachoir.com for details.
* The Vancouver Men's Chorus: The chorus is offering up its #1 Hits concert at Performance works on Granville Island, featuring "the most acclaimed songs of this year and yesteryear." The chorus hits the stage at 8 p.m. tonight (Friday, June 6), tomorrow and next weekend – Thursday to Saturday, June 12 to 14. General admission tickets are $35.
* Elektra Women's Choir With the VSO: Elektra joins the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra for their concerts this weekend featuring Holst's The Planets. Bramwell Tovel conducts, and the performance also features flutist Christie Reside with Nielsen's Flute Concerto. Ticket prices range from $17 to $62.
* Indiekor: Check out what happens when the amazing Coastal Sound Youth Choir joins forces with local indie band The Salteens, cross-pollinating classical choral music and indie rock. Where else will you find a bill that mixes Mumford and Sons with Monteverdi, and Arcade Fire with Arvo Part? They're onstage Sunday, June 8 at 7:30 p.m. at the Vogue Theatre. Tickets are $22 regular, $17 for seniors, $15 for students or $12 for kids 12 and under.
* A Tribute to Dads: Coastal Sound Music Academy brings a Father's Day concert to the stage at the Evergreen Cultural Centre on Sunday, June 15, with 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. shows. The afternoon show features Con Brio, Con Bella, the children's choir and DeCoro, while the evening show features Coastal Sound Youth Choir, children's choir and DeCoro. Tickets are $20 regular, $15 seniors and students, or $10 for kids 12 and under. Call the box office at 604-927-6555.
* Chor Leoni: The singing lions return to the mainstage tent at Bard on the Beach for Manely #1s, which runs the gamut from opera to Abba and barbershop to the Beatles. There will be costumes, choreography, a full band and a whole lot of humour. It's on two Mondays, June 23 and 30, with 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. shows each day. Matinees are $37 for adults and $15 for youth, and evening shows are $37 for all tickets. Call the Bard box office at 604-739-0559 to book. For info, call 604-263-7061 or see the website at chorleoni.org.
So there you have it. Don't be too sad about summer – just be sure to catch at least one of these awesome shows to tide you over till rehearsals start again in the fall!