Who will be this year’s Citizen of the Year? Which business will be named Business of the Year?
You’ll find out at the 2023 Platinum Awards, where awards will be given out in 14 categories. Presented by Douglas College, the awards acknowledge the accomplishments of individuals and organizations in the city.
"It's been incredibly inspiring reading the nominations for this year's Platinum Awards,” said Angie Whitfield, executive director of the chamber of commerce. “The nominees are nothing short of phenomenal. Their dedication and heartfelt efforts profoundly impact on our community. It's a privilege for the New West chamber to share their stories and celebrate their contributions."
Here are the finalists for this year’s Platinum Awards:
- Bernie Legge Artist of the Year Award: Ray Boulay; Mishel Arrieta; and Janet Kvammen.
- Business of the Year: Steel & Oak Brewing Co.; Gastronomia Italia; and Kids and Youth in Motion.
- Citizen of the Year: Fulton Tom; Johanna Bartels; and Roqiya Ahamadi.
- Climate Readiness Award: Chroma Nostaa Designs; Angela’s Enviro-Home Cleaning; and Sylvis Environmental.
- Customer Service Excellence Award: Full Basket Butcher; Kinder Books; and L’Onore Pizza.
- Destination Business of the Year: Hidden Wonders Speakeasy Magic Experience; Mosaic Art Studio Vancouver; and Capital City Arcade.
- Digital Communication Award: New West Farmers Market; Downtown New West BIA; and Arts New West.
- Employer of the Year: Justin Darrah (Vetro Installs Ltd.); Jamie and Yvette Cuthbert (Rocky Point Ice Cream New West); and Kayvan Rahmati (Waves Coffee House Columbia).
- Entrepreneurial Spirit award: Jordan Kofsky (Kofsky Mortgage); Angel Lam (Liv’Ez Co); and Sara Alhowar (VICI Learning).
- Female Business Leader of the Year: Kelly Adler (Kelly Adler and Associates Counselling); Karima Jivraj (Bosley’s by Pet Valu Columbia Square); and Katerina Tsangarakis (The Zesty Lemon Clothing Co.).
- Home-based Business of the Year: CHY Design; Studio3 Creative; and Saved by the Bookkeeper.
- New Business of the Year: Sea2Sky Wellness Club; In Movement Dance Co.; and Yoga at the Quay.
- Not-for-Profit: New West Family Place; Royal Canadian Legion Branch 2; and Royal Columbian Hospital Foundation.
Finalists for the Community Catalyst Award, which will be presented to a business or organization that has significantly contribute to the well-being of vulnerable population in New West, will be announced during Homelessness Action Week, which runs from Oct. 7 to 14.
This year’s Platinum Awards event is taking place on Thursday, Nov. 23 at the Eighth + Eight Creative Spaces from 6 to 11 p.m.
According to the chamber of commerce, tickets went on sale to the public on Sept. 18 and are already 76 per cent sold. Early bird pricing is available until Oct. 10 – or while tickets last.
This year’s event includes A Taste of New West reception featuring bites from some favourite local restaurants (sponsored by the City of New Westminster), a live, hosted red-carpet experience (sponsored by Edgar Developments) and entertainment from talented New West artists (sponsored by Vintop Developments). Vanessa Woznow will host the award show.
The chamber reports that it received more than 135 nominations for this year’s Platinum Awards. From there, 115 were confirmed/shortlisted, and a jury then scored them based on pre-set criteria, which produced a top-three for each of the 14 categories – for a total of 42 finalists.