Skip to content

SkyTrain stabbing suspect arrested in New Westminster

A victim suffered “significant” but non-life-threatening injuries after a stabbing inside a SkyTrain car at Columbia station

A person was rushed to hospital with “significant but non-life-threatening injuries” after a stabbing inside a SkyTrain car in New West on Wednesday night.

Transit Police spokesperson Const. Amanda Steed said officers from Metro Vancouver Transit Police responded to reports of a fight on board a train at Columbia SkyTrain station.

“When officers arrived, they discovered one person suffering from apparent stab wounds,” she said in a statement to the Record.

Steed said the investigation is still in the early stages, and details of the events leading up to the incident are unknown at this time. She said the New Westminster Police Department has taken over the investigation.

According to a NWPD press release, the New West police officers received a request from assistance from the Metro Vancouver Transit police at about 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 4. That call was in response to a report of a stabbing inside a SkyTrain car.

“The SkyTrain car was held at Columbia SkyTrain station, and New Westminster Police Department officers rushed to the scene. Once the scene was contained, police located a man with injuries consistent with an edged weapon,” said the press release. “BC Ambulance Service and New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services provided him aid before he was transported to nearby hospital. The injuries received were significant, but not life threatening.”

According to the press release, within minutes of police containing the scene at the SkyTrain station a NWPD patrol officer recognized someone matching the suspect description and arrested the suspect on Fourth Street.

Police report that a knife was located inside Columbia SkyTrain station. The NWPD’s forensic identification unit processed the SkyTrain for additional evidence.

“We’d like to thank the numerous witnesses that took the time to share statements with police,” said NWPD spokesperson Sgt. Justine Thom. “At this time we believe the suspect and victim are known to each other.”

NWPD Deputy Chief Const. Paul Hyland took to Twitter Thursday morning to say that quick response from the two policing agencies and “great witness info” resulted in a male suspect being arrested.

The suspect has been held in custody for an appearance in court. Investigators are recommending charges of aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

The investigation is ongoing, and police are asking the anyone who witnessed this incident and has yet to speak to police about what they saw to call the New Westminster Police Department at 604-525-5411.