Skip to content

Indecent act investigation: New West police appeal for victims to come forward

New Westminster police investigate “very disturbing” events that negatively impacted community members.
New West police are appealing for victims to come forward as part of their indecent act investigation. Photo James C Hooper/Moments/Getty

A Surrey man has been charged with numerous offences after an indecent act investigation, but New Westminster believe there may be additional victims in the Lower Mainland.

According to a news release from the New Westminster Police Department, police received numerous reports during the past six months about a man committing indecent acts outside a home in the 500 block of Kelly Street in Sapperton.

“Reports were made to police after the suspect was seen on different occasions masturbating while peering into the residence,” said the news release.

The Major Crime Unit assumed conduct of the investigation and arrested a 51-year-old Surrey man on May 22.

“This was a very disturbing series of events that negatively impacted members of our community,” NWPD Deputy Chief Const. Paul Hyland said in the news release. “I am grateful to the public who provided valuable evidence and to the investigators who worked diligently on this file to get it to the charge approved stage.”

New Westminster police believe there may be other victims throughout the Lower Mainland and are encouraging them to contact police.

“Investigators believe there may be additional victims who have not yet come forward,” said Sgt. Andrew Leaver. “It is important to know, if you have been a victim of an indecent act, you will be heard, and we will ensure you are offered resources and ongoing support.”

Anyone with more information, or who may have been a victim of a similar offence is asked to contact the New Westminster Police Department at 604-525-5411.

Anup Narayan, a 51-year-old Surey man, has been charged with: three counts of an indecent act; one count of exposure to a person under the age of 16 years; and one count of criminal harassment.

According to the NWPD news release, the courts released the suspect from custody with conditions for an upcoming court appearance.