Skip to content

Charges laid in New West after woman reports man with gun threatening to kill her

Incident prompted closure of part of Cumberland Street
New Westminster Police Department had assistance from the emergency response team in apprehending a suspect who was believed to have a gun.

The Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team and a New Westminster Police Department negotiator helped local police officers deal with a high-risk situation that closed Cumberland Street and prompted police to ask neighbours to leave their homes last Wednesday morning.

Members of the New Westminster Police Department were called to the 700 block of McBride Boulevard about 7:45 a.m. on Sept. 15 to speak with a victim who told them a man she knew had pointed a firearm at her and threatened to kill her.

“Numerous New Westminster Police Department units responded to provide assistance. Due to the high-risk nature of the situation, the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team and a New Westminster Police Department negotiator were called to the scene,” said a NWPD press release. “New Westminster Police patrol members were able to locate the residence in the 700 block of Cumberland Street and were able to make contact with the suspect and arrest him without incident.”

According to the NWPD, the police department’s forensic identification service was later called in to search and process the scene. Two replica firearms were recovered from the scene.

“Due to an increased risk to public safety, a section of Cumberland Street was closed and a number of residents in nearby homes were advised to leave,” said NWPD spokesperson Sgt. Sanjay Kumar. “We appreciate how evacuations affect residents, but bear in mind, we do it when we feel it is necessary for the safety of residents. We want to thank neighbours for their patience and cooperation.”

Kevin Gerald Hunter, a 43-year-old, New Westminster resident has been charged with assault with weapon, pointing a firearm, assault by choking, uttering threats and use of an imitation firearm.

The suspect remains in custody until his scheduled court date, said the NWPD press release.