The City of New Westminster and the New Westminster Chamber of Commerce honoured the best in local development last night at the 41st annual Royal City Builders' Awards.
More than 120 people attended the gala dinner at the Inn at the Quay to recognize outstanding achievement in modern development, heritage preservation, accessibility improvements and sustainability on projects completed in 2011.
The Overall Royal City Builders Award, Building of the Year went to The Quantum development, a downtown high-rise condo development.
The People's Choice Award winners are:
- 218 Patrick St., which won for Exterior Heritage Restoration (Shield) and Renovation;
- 216 Anthony Crt., for New Home that Respects New Westminster Heritage;
- Flow at Port Royal won the Modern Residential Award;
- The Brewery District Building #2 won the Modern Commercial Award;
- The Columbia Theatre won for best Commercial Renovation.
Winners in the Modern Development category include:
- Wild Rice, which won for commercial renovation;
- The Quantum, which won for modern residential;
- Honour House for modern commercial.
Winners in the Heritage category are:
- 214 Sixth Ave., which won for exterior heritage renovation;
- 626 10th St., for exterior heritage renovation;
- 216 Anthony Crt., which won for a new home construction that respects New Westminster heritage.
Winners in the Universal Access category are Lowe's and Honour House. The Grove at Victoria Hill won in the Sustainability category.
The Royal City Builders' Awards are supported by several local businesses. This year's sponsors include Bosa Properties, Westminster Savings, Grizzly Construction, Thrifty Foods and The Royal City Record.
- Niki Hope