Skip to content

Barricaded suspect prompts heavy ERT presence in New Westminster

A more than two-hour-long standoff on Agnes Street ended without incident on Wednesday night.
ERT Agnes Street August
Downtown New Westminster residents saw a heavy police presence in the area of Agnes and Fourth streets on Wednesday evening, after a suspect in an earlier incident barricaded himself in an apartment.

A  reported "domestic incident" in the West End ended up in a more than two-hour standoff involving a heavy ERT presence in downtown New Westminster Wednesday evening.

Residents living near Agnes and Fourth streets reported spotting a large number of marked and unmarked police vehicles in the area starting at around 4:30 p.m. on Aug. 3.

New Westminster Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Justine Thom said the incident began in the West End when police were called to a "domestic incident" near 20th Street and Sixth Avenue at about 2 p.m.

The suspect was identified and later located in an apartment in the 300-block of Agnes Street. When police attempted to arrest him, he barricaded himself in.

A police press release notes the suspect would not acknowledge police, and patrol members attempted to negotiate his surrender. When the suspect refused to leave the apartment, the Lower Mainland emergency response team was called in to help.

The stand-off with police lasted until about 7 p.m., Thom said.

She was unable to immediately to confirm whether the standoff ended with the man coming out voluntarily or whether police went in. But she did note that the episode ended "without incident" and that there were no shots fired.

“I can understand that seeing that presence within the community is shocking," she said, noting the large number of police cars involved.

But she said residents of the area were not in danger and there are no continuing concerns.

"(There's) no risk to the public. It's been addressed; the individual is in custody," she said.

Thom said police are recommending a number of charges in the incident. A 30-year-old New Westminster man faces charges related to assault with a weapon, dangerous operation of a conveyance, uttering threats and criminal harassment.

"We're still in the early stages of this investigation, but there is no ongoing risk to the public," Thom said. "We thank neighbours in the area for their patience and cooperation as we took this suspect into custody."

Follow Julie MacLellan on Twitter @juliemaclellan.
Email Julie,