A Quayside resident “got lucky” after a barbecue caught fire on their balcony on Saturday afternoon.
New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services attended a townhouse development on K De K Court on June 25, after a barbecue fire on a second-floor balcony. No one was injured in the fire.
Witnesses told the Record the resident had briefly left the barbecue, which then caught on fire. Witnesses, including residents of the complex and passersby who said they were firefighters in other jurisdictions, used a hose to spray water on the fire until firefighters arrived.
New Westminster firefighters poured water on the balcony and the patio. They tore down the ceiling panels, which had melted from the heat of the fire.
Firefighters also used a thermal imaging device to ensure the fire had not spread further into the building. Fire damage was contained to the patio area.
“They got lucky,” said one firefighter.
The Record will be reaching out to New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services for barbecue safety tips.