Well, the weather forecast may not look entirely promising, but nothing's going to stop the summer festivities this coming week.
Rain or no rain, get ready to have some fun at these five local events:
Outdoor Cinema at Westminster Pier Park
Join in the festivities as the City of New Westminster hosts a 10th birthday bash for Westminster Pier Park on Friday evening.
The evening culminates in an outdoor movie screening on the festival lawn at 9:30 p.m.— your chance to catch Tom Holland, Zendaya and Benedict Cumberbatch in Spider-Man: No Way Home.
Leading up to the movie, you can enjoy a host of other fun: Music at the Pier, with tunes, games and prizes led by DJ Byron James; a Pier Park Trivia Walk; all-ages crafting with New West Family Place; a community canvas art project; plus marine games, pirate hat making, visits with the New Westminster police and fire departments, photos with Wonderpup Academy and more.
- What: Westminster Pier Park 10th anniversary celebration
- When: Friday, June 17, 5:30 to 11:00 p.m.
- Where: Westminster Pier Park (on the Fraser River waterfront)
- Cost: Free.
National Indigenous Peoples Day
Spirit of the Children Society invites everyone to join the 2022 National Indigenous Peoples Day celebration at Moody Park on the summer solstice from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can enjoy arts and crafts, traditional songs, cultural dances, storytelling and much more.
- What: National Indigenous Peoples Day celebration
- When: Tuesday, June 21, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: Moody Park, 600 Eighth St. (Sixth Avenue and Eighth Street)
- Admission: Free
Kill the Ripper at Anvil Theatre
THE ANVIL CENTRE SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO INJURY.
This darkly comic, female-led take on the Jack the Ripper story is on the Anvil Theatre stage June 16 through 19. Follow the lives of three working women — Kit (Jackie Hanlin), Pudding (Katrina Tietz) and Viola (Nathania Bernabe) — as they decide they must teach, arm and protect themselves when men in power refuse to take them seriously.
- What: Kill the Ripper, a Geekenders production
- Where: Anvil Theatre, 777 Columbia St., New West
- When: Thursday, June 16 to Sunday, June 19, with shows at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m. on Sunday
- Tickets: $25 to $35, plus service charges. Buy online.
The Piano Man/The Rocket Man
New Westminster Secondary School alumnus Ryan Langevin returns to his home stage at Massey Theatre for his double bill of The Piano Man – a tribute to Billy Joel and The Rocket Man – a tribute to Elton John.
The show marks its local return for the first time since the pandemic began; he was last seen at Massey in February 2020, just before COVID-19 started wreaking havoc on the arts and entertainment scene.
Langevin and his live band will have you dancing along to some of Billy Joel’s biggest hits – It’s Still Rock ’n’ Roll to Me, Only the Good Die Young, Uptown Girl, Piano Man – for their opening act, then take you into a full tribute to Elton John as they power through repertoire including Crocodile Rock, Benny and the Jets, Your Song, Candle in the Wind and many, many more.
- What: The Piano Man/The Rocket Man, starring Ryan Langevin
- Where: Massey Theatre, 735 Eighth Ave.
- When: Thursday, June 23, 7:30 p.m.
- Tickets: $39 to $59, plus service charges. Buy online.
Eighth & Eight residencies
Experience the work of the artists who’ve been part of the performing arts collaborative residencies at the Eighth & Eight arts space (Massey Theatre complex).
On Thursday, June 23 and Saturday, June 25 at 7:30 p.m., you can see Bending, including original music and arrangements with tap dancer Alexandra Clancy and double bassist Noah Gotfrit - individually, as a duo, and in interaction with a larger ensemble, featuring pianist Dean Thiessen and trombonist Brad Shigeta. The performers investigate the visual aspects of how our bodies exist and move in space, as well as amplify and reflect our sounds.
- What: Bending
- Where: Eighth & Eight Creative Spaces, 735 Eighth Ave.
- When: Thursday, June 23 and Saturday, June 25, 7 p.m.
- Tickets: $8, plus fees, buy online.
Got an event to share? Email Julie, email@example.com