Friday, Oct. 20 to Sunday, Oct. 23
New West Film Fest
The 12th annual New West Film Fest brings independent films from around the world to New Westminster. This year’s festival features 10 screenings of 44 films over three days.
- When: Friday, Oct. 20 to Sunday, Oct. 23
- Where: New Westminster Landmark Cinema, 800 Carnarvon St.
- Details: Info and tickets at newwestfilmfest.ca. (Note: Because most of the films are not rated, you must be a member of New West Film Society and must be 18 years or older to attend – the annual $2 membership is available on Eventbrite.)
The Ghosts of New Westminster
Coldspotters Paranormal Investigations and Events leads a guided walking tour of downtown New Westminster, where you’ll get “a ghostly and eye-opening looking into New Westminster and the dark secrets that remain.”
- When: Friday, Oct. 20 (8 and 9:15 p.m.), Saturday, Oct. 21 (8 and 9:15 p.m.) and Sunday, Oct. 22 (6:45 and 8 p.m.)
- Where: Walks begin in Hyack Square
- Details: Tickets are $27.96 and available at Eventbrite.ca (The Ghosts of New Westminster)
Friday, Oct. 20 and Saturday, Oct. 21
Rick Bronson’s House of Comedy
Comedian Sahib Singh, who has performed at clubs and colleges across the United States and has been featured on the CBS Comedy Showcase and the digital series As Seen on Adult Swim, brings his show to New West. Singh has worked as a writer and performer for Comedy Central and has earned a strong following on social media because of his original videos.
- When: Friday, Oct. 20, 7:30 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., and Saturday, Oct. 21at 7 p.m.
- Rick Bronson’s House of Comedy, 530 Columbia St.
- Details: Tickets and info at www.bc.houseofcomedy.net.
Saturday, Oct. 21
The award-winning group Oktopus – which has had more than 250 performances at home and abroad – brings its show to New Westminster. The eight virtuoso musicians offer festive, high-energy performances, at once melancholic and profound, sprinkled with humour and spiced with narrative, in which original compositions and finely crafted arrangements combine with improvisation.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 21, 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Massey Theatre, 735 Eighth Ave.
- Details: Tickets and info at www.masseytheatre.com.
Sunday, Oct. 22
May the Music Be With You!
The New Westminster Symphony kicks off its 2023/24 season with a selection of the best loved movie scores of all times, including: Star Wars; E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial; Raiders of the Lost Ark; Harry Potter; Beauty and The Beast; Pirates of the Caribbean; How to Train Your Dragon; Lord of the Rings; as well as vintage classics Moon River , Lawrence of Arabia and West Side Story.
- When: Sunday, Oct. 22, 2 p.m.
- Where: Sanctuary on 6th, corner of Queens Avenue and Sixth Street (enter on Sixth Street)
- Details: Admission is by donation.
Until Oct. 29
Best of the Crawl
The Best of the Crawl exhibition features the works of more than 20 local artists who participated in last weekend’s New West Cultural Crawl. It runs until
- When: Friday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: The Gallery in Queen’s Park (in Centennial Lodge), arose from the playground and the spray park.
- Details: Best of the Crawl runs until Oct. 29.