1. Commemorate the lives of those who have fought for freedom at this year’s Remembrance Day ceremonies in New West. The Royal Westminster Regiment’s ceremony at the Armoury (530 Queens Ave.) officially starts at 9:45 a.m. but doors open at 9 a.m. and a slide show and music get things started. The City of New Westminster’s ceremony at the cenotaph in front of city hall begins at 10:30 a.m.
2. Take a spin down to River Market for an evening of music, food, beer and vinyl at the Analog Vinyl Fair on Friday, Nov. 8 from 7 to 11 p.m. While the event is mainly a vinyl fair where you can buy albums, it also features live and DJ music, beer sales by Steel & Oak Brewing Co. River Market’s food vendors will be open for the event at 810 Quayside Dr.
3. Eat, drink and sing at Kelly O’Bryan’s, when it holds Dueling Pianos on Friday, Nov. 8 from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. While guests dine or drink, they can sing along as two pianists entertain the crowd. Kelly O’Bryan’s restaurant is at 800 Columbia St.
4. Roll up your sleeves, put on your gardening gloves and help plant a pollinator garden in Connaught Heights. Community members and the parks and rec department are planting a pollinator garden in the city boulevard at London and 22nd streets on Saturday, Nov. 9 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Snacks and a hot lunch will be provided.
5. Enjoy a night of laughs when comedian Kevin Foxx performs at Lafflines Comedy Club on Friday, Nov. 8 and Saturday, Nov. 9. Tickets and details at Eventbrite.ca (search for Kevin Foxx.)
6. Head to Massey Theatre for the Vancouver Welsh Men’s Choir and the Band of the 15th Field Artillery Regiment’s Remembrance Day concert, With Glowing Hearts. It’s on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 2:30 p.m. Info and tickets at www.masseytheatre.com.
7. Tune in to the New West Artist Gigs at the Gallery, when classical guitarist Matthew Silverman performs at the gallery on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $20 and available at Renaissance Books or the New West Artists Gallery (712C 12th St.).
Email your Top 5 ideas to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.