1. Shop for goodies at the New West Farmers Market’s winter market, which has returned to Belmont Street in Uptown New West. It’s on Saturday, Nov. 16 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
2. Head to Royal City Centre to help it kick off the holiday season when it lights up the Uptown. The Light Up event is on Friday, Nov. 15 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., with the lights being turned on at 6 p.m. Royal City Centre merchants will be handing out treats at the event and Noxious Obs Society will be entertaining the crowd.
3. Support the Group of Five and Friends Benevolent Society’s efforts to buy equipment for Royal Columbian Hospital by attending its fundraiser on Friday, Nov. 15 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Lodge in Queen’s Park. The reception includes tasty hors d’oeuvres, a cash bar serving wine and beer, a live auction and theme tables where you can buy gifts. Tickets are $40 and are available at the door.
4. Get inspired at Pecha Kucha, where presenters will share their passions in presentations consisting of 20 images lasting 20 seconds each. It’s on Saturday, Nov. 16 at Anvil Centre, 777 Columbia St. Drinks will be available for purchase in the lobby at 7 p.m., with presentations getting underway in the theatre at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 and available at www.ticketsnw.ca.
5. Join New Westminster poet laureate emerita Candice James as she launches her new book of poetry, Rithimus Aeternam at Poetic Justice. Music by Enrico Renz, an open mic and more will be featured at this free event, taking place on Sunday, Nov. 17 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Heritage Grill, 447 Columbia St.
Email your Top 5 ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.