1. Check out all the action at the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo at Anvil Centre on Saturday, June 22 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. This all-ages, licensed event celebrates retro gaming and includes vendors, tournaments, guests, music, panels, gaming and more. Tickets and info at www.vancouvergamingexpo.com.
2. Attend the Vagabond Players’ final show of the season, The Melville Boys. This tender comedy runs at the Bernie Legge Theatre in Queen’s Park until June 29, with shows at 8 p.m., Thursday to Saturday and 2 p.m. matinees on Sundays. Tickets at 604-521-0412 or www.vagabondplayers.ca/tickets.
3. Attend the opening reception and artist talks of the new exhibition at the New Media Gallery on Friday, June 21. Winds, featuring works by artists from Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom, opens on Friday, with a talk by David Bowen (U.S.A.) and Chris Welsby (U.K./Canada) on their practice and the works in the exhibition, followed by a public opening reception from 7:30 to 8:45 p.m. The exhibition is suitable for all ages and the reception includes a wine bar (cash only.) The gallery is in Anvil Centre, 777 Columbia St.
4. Enjoy an evening of music at the Century House Ukulele Orchestra’s free concert on Friday, June 21 at 7 p.m., Century House, 620 Eighth St. The group’s spring concert will feature class country tunes including Country Roads, Four Strong Winds, Walkin’ After Midnight and more – all performed by an orchestra of ukuleles.
5. Shop for treasures at the first-ever Queensborough Community Garage Sale on Saturday, June 22 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Folks from around Queensborough will be taking part in this neighbourhood-wide sale. Details at www.qbresidents.wordpress.com.
6. Head to the Columbia Theatre for a show by Tiller’s Folly, as well as The Whiskeydicks and Pat Chessell. The Summer Solstice Tartan Ball is on Friday, June 21. Tickets and info at www.thecolumbia.net.
7. Imagine you’re in the tropics at a free performance by Josie de Baat’s Polynesian Dancers, who are performing at the Queen’s Park bandshell on Sunday, June 23 from 2 to 3:30 p.m.
8. Join fellow citizens of all ages and abilities at this month’s family-friendly enhancement project in the Glenbrook Ravine on Saturday, June 22 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. It includes refreshments and socialization breaks.
9. Celebrate summer at the New Westminster Soccer Club’s Community Summer Kick Off Party on Saturday, June 22 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Mercer Stadium, 800 block of Sixth Street. All ages are welcome to attend this event that includes food, games, face painting and prizes.
10. Check out all the action at the New Westminster Legion for Legion Week. There's lot of fun things happening on Saturday and Sunday including a free barbecue,draws, a dunk tank and a pie-eating contest.
Email your Top 5 ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.