1. Shred your old documents at the New Westminster Firefighters’ Charitable Society’s shred-athon on Saturday, June 15 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Canada Games Pool parking lot, 65 East Sixth Ave. Shredding is done on site and is by donation. The event includes a barbecue and live music. All proceeds will be distributed to local charities.
2. Celebrate New Westminster’s lacrosse tradition at Salmonbellie Day on Sunday, June 16 from noon to 4 p.m. at Queen’s Park. Wear your Bellies gear and enjoy an afternoon of lacrosse games, tug-of-war, a coach’s car wash, a pie-throwing contest, live music, a bouncy castle and more. You’ll be able to meet some famous Bellies and meet up with friends in the Mann Cup Beer Garden.
3. Shop for treasures at the Glenbrook North Residents’ Association’s 20th annual garage sale on Saturday, June 15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sales will take place at homes between Sixth and 10th avenues and Sixth Street and McBride Boulevard. Info at www.glenbrookenorth.ca.
4. Treat dad to breakfast/brunch out on the town at one of the local restaurants. Some of our readers’ favourites include Angelina’s Dutch Corner, Coming Home Café, Highlight by Re-Up BBQ, El Santo, Piva Modern Italian, the Waffle House, the Sixth Street Grill and De Dutch Pannekoek House.
5. Watch some exciting soccer action when the New Westminster Soccer Club hosts a university women’s game on Friday, June 14 at 6:30 p.m. at the Mercer Stadium turf, when UBC women’s soccer takes on University of the Fraser Valley/New Westminster Soccer Club.
6. Head to the Bernie Legge Theatre for the Vagabond Players’ final show of the season, The Melville Boys. This tender comedy runs until June 29, with shows at 8 p.m., Thursday to Saturday and 2 p.m. matinees on Sundays. Tickets at 604-521-0412 or www.vagabondplayers.ca/tickets.
Email your Top 5 ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.