1. Head downtown for the return of Fridays on Front, which features food trucks, live music, a market of artisan vendors, and a chance to enjoy a beer or glass of wine while soaking up the ambiance of the Front Street Mews. Fridays on Front takes place in the 600 block of Front Street from 5 to 9 p.m. every Friday from July 5 to Aug. 23.
2. Grab a blanket and snacks and head to Port Royal Park in Queensborough for the return of the summer outdoor movie series, which kicks off with The Emperor’s New Groove. The movie screens on Friday, July 5 at dusk and it’s free to attend.
3. Join local artists at an open house on Sunday, July 7 from 1 to 5 p.m. at the New Westminster Artists Gallery at 712C 12th St. The free open house includes food, drinks, music and a chance to meet and chat with artists. You can also buy art in a variety of mediums and a range of prices at the gallery, which is currently exhibiting works by 20 NWA members.
4. Find out what happens at The Anything Can Happen Cabaret on Saturday, July 6 at the Columbia Theatre, 530 Columbia St. Doors open at 6 p.m. for dinner and drinks, and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. Spoken word, burlesque, opera, stand-up comedy, live music and audience interaction are among the night’s offerings. Tickets and info at www.thecolumbia.ca or 604-522-4500.
5. Enjoy an afternoon of fun at the free Princess Party in the Park on Saturday, July 6 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. at Thompsons’s Landing Park in Queensborough (at South Dyke Road and Boundary Road). This free community event includes crown decorating, face painting, origami, interactive science presentations (2:30 p.m.), yoga (1:30 p.m.), collage crafts and other activities. Bring a blanket or chairs to relax in the park, play on the playground and get to know your neighbours.
6. Shop from more than 75 vendors selling handmade items at the New West Craft Summer Night Market on the boardwalk at New West Quay and inside River Market. The event, taking place on Saturday, July 6 from 6 to 9:30p.m., includes music – and a chance to buy food and drinks from River Market vendors. River Market is at 810 Quayside Dr. (If you’re busy that night, the New West Craft Boardwalk Market takes place at the Quay/River Market from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and features 40 vendors.)
Email your Top 5 ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.