1. Attend the official opening of the new exhibition at the New Westminster Museum – An Ocean of Peace: 100 Years of Sikhs in New Westminster. The opening reception is on Friday, Jan 24 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Anvil Centre, 777 Columbia St. It includes tours, refreshments and a chance to check out the museum’s newest exhibition.
2. Meet your match at the New Westminster Volunteer Fest, where you can learn about non-profit organizations in need of volunteers. It’s on Saturday, Jan. 25 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Royal City Centre mall, 610 Sixth St.
3. Spend the afternoon playing board games – and support a local church’s efforts to provide hospitality kits to those in need and to offer children and youth activities. The Game Day fundraiser is on Saturday, Jan. 25 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Shiloh-Fifth United Church, 1010 Fifth Ave. Bring you gown games to share, and get rid of old games in a silent auction. Food will be available for purchase. Info: 604-522-3443.
4. Make an origami tugboat and learn about these mighty machines at Super Saturday at Fraser River Discovery Centre, a monthly family-friendly event. It’s on Saturday, Jan. 25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Discovery Centre, 788 Quayside Dr. Free with admission to FRDC’s galleries.
5. Check out the upbeat, swinging sounds of jazz ensemble Van Django, who are performing at the Music at Queens series on Saturday, Jan. 25 at 7:30 p.m. at Queens Avenue United Church, 529 Queens Ave. Tickets are $25 for adults, $20 for seniors and students, $10 for children and are available at www.queensavenue.org, 604-522-1606 or at the door.
6. Enjoy an evening of guitar perfection when International Guitar Night returns to the Massey Theatre stage on Saturday, Jan. 25 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets and info at masseytheatre.com. Massey Theatre is at 735 Eighth Ave.
7. Skip cooking and head to the Holy Eucharist Church for the monthly Ukrainian Perogy Supper. It’s on Saturday, Jan. 25 from 4 to 7 p.m. at 501 Fourth Ave. You can also buy perogies from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Email your Top 5 ideas to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.