1. Join Century House Artists in an interactive art event where individual artists will showcase their work and show you how it’s done. You can try your hand at watercolour, drawing and acrylics, get some inspiration or buy original paintings at Art in Motion – Paintings on Parade. It’s on at Century House, 620 Eighth St., on Saturday, Dec. 8 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Info at 604-519-1066.
2. Dance into Christmas at the New Westminster Symphony Orchestra and Richmond Academy of Dance’s annual show at Massey Theatre on Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m. Dance into Christmas features songs, dances, music and storytelling. Tickets are available at www.masseytheatre.com or 604-521-5050.
3. Enjoy a blast from the past when the Original Legends of Rock ‘n’ Roll present Rock n Soul Christmas on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:30 p.m. at Massey Theatre. Tribute acts will be performing hits songs from Little Richard, Fats Domino, James Brown and Tina Turner. Tickets at the door or at www.masseytheatre.com or 604-521-5050.
4. Head to the Amicus Club for Performing Arts for An Evening with Ed, Salve and Friends on Sunday, Dec. 9 from 6 to 10 p.m. Ed and Salve Dayao (known to many for their years of performing and running Java Jazz Café and Bistro on Sixth Street) will appear at The Columbia Theatre, 530 Columbia St. Tickets are $35.20 and include a buffet dinner and entertainment. They’re available at www.thecolumbia.net/amicus-club.
5. Pick up some treats and gifts at the Shiloh-Fifth Avenue United Church and St. Barnabas Anglican Church Christmas bake sale and bazaar, where you’ve find baking, jams and other treats, Christmas treasures from the thrift store and more. It’s on Saturday, Dec. 8 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 1010 Fifth Ave.
6. Take the kids to Holiday Hooray! VSO Tiny Tots on Saturday, Dec. 8 (10 and 11:30 a.m.) at Anvil Centre, 777 Columbia St. Tickets are $15 (adults), $7 (child) and $2 (baby) and available at www.anvilcentre.com.
7. Celebrate Kelly O’Bryan’s first anniversary in New West on Saturday, Dec. 8 from 11 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., when you’ll enjoy live music (starting at 8 p.m.), prize giveaways and happy hour prices all day long. It’s at 800 Columbia St.
Email your Top 5 ideas to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.