1. Head to the riverfront and enjoy the ambiance of the Mighty Fraser. While you’re there, pop into River Market and get food or beverages to go. (Note: River Market has rearranged its seating to accommodate social distancing.)
2. Connect with community members without leaving home. A Twitter meet-up is taking place each evening where locals will share their personal stories on “non-virus topics” at 8 p.m. nightly. Look for the #NewWestGoesViral hashtag.
3. Stop and smell the flowers. Despite the current COVID-19 crisis, spring is in the air and flowers are starting to bloom. Take a walk through the Queen’s Park neighbourhood and check out the first signs of spring. (Maybe pick up a bouquet at a local business to take home to brighten up your day?)
4. Support a local small business. While many businesses are closing temporarily during the COVID-19 crisis, others, including some restaurants, are still open. Why not order in or get food to go?
5. Check on someone who know who may need to hear a friendly voice. These are unsettling times for many folks. If you know of someone who is alone, isolated or may be struggling, give them a call to say hello and make sure they’re OK.
Do you have a Top 5 item you’d like to share? With many of the usual entertainment options and events cancelled because of the COVID-19 situation, we’re open to suggestions we can share with fellow citizens. Email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.