1. Support the Vancouver Men’s Chorus by attending its fundraising drag shows at Anvil Centre Theatre on Saturday, March 14. About 35 members of the chorus will perform 22 numbers including comedic, suggestive and emotional performances in a range of musical styles in shows at 5 and 9 p.m. Tickets and info at www.vancouvermenschorus.ca.
2. Check out a female-oriented reimagining of the Jekyll and Hyde story in the Douglas College presentation, Jekyll. It’s running March 13 to 20 in the Studio Theatre, fourth floor, 700 Royal Ave. Tickets $20 general or $10 for seniors. For tickets and show times, see jekyll.bpt.me.
3. Enjoy an afternoon of vintage folk and pop and contemporary favourites when acoustic guitarist/vocalist Jana Seale performs at the New West Artists’ Gigs in the Gallery. It’s on Sunday, March 15 from 2 to 4 p.m. at 712C 12th St. Free admission. Light refreshments are available. Info: 604-525-4566.
4. Hit the dance floor at Union Jack Public House, where Dance Mob will be rocking out on March 13 and 14. The Union Jack is at 525 Seventh St.
5. Don green and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day a few days early. While some of the local watering holes will be serving up drinks and Irish entertainment on Tuesday, March 17, Paddlewheeler Riverboat Tours is also holding St. Patrick’s Day pub night cruises on Friday, March 13 and Saturday, March 14. Details and tickets at www.vancouverpaddlewheeler.com.
Note: The Solidarity for Unisto’ot’en benefit included on an earlier version of the list has been postponed. A benefit for the Unist’ot’en Legal Fund, the evening was set to take place on Friday, March 13 at Massey Theatre and include a variety of performers, a film screening of Invasion in the Plaskett Gallery, speakers, vendors, a food truck, a silent auction, a kid’s zone, an action booth and more.
Email your Top 5 ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.