Summer may just be kicking into high gear but Family Services of Greater Vancouver is hard at work planning for fall.
Registration for free community programs being offered in New Westminster is now underway. Here’s what’s happening:
* Community kitchen for parents of young children (zero to five years) is a chance for parents to make friends, learn recipes and cook healthy meals. This takes place on Wednesdays (Sept. 18, Oct. 2, 16 and 30, and Nov. 13 and 27) from 10 a.m. to noon at the Early Years Centre at Qayqayt Elementary School, 85 Merivale St.
* Parents Connect gives parents of children aged zero to six year a chance to connect with other parents and participate in guided discussions. It’s on Fridays (Sept. 20 to Nov. 15) from 9:30 a.m. to noon at Olivet Church, 613 Queens Ave.
* Single Moms Group is a chance for moms who are raising children on their own to connect with other moms about the joys and challenges of solo parenting and to learn about community services. It’s on Wednesdays from Sept. 18 to Nov. 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Olivet Church.
* Food, Fun and Facts is a place where parents and caregivers of children up to age six can meet neighbours and connect around all things food and nutrition. It’s on Mondays from 9:30 a.m. to noon from Sept. 16 to Dec. 2 at Olivet Church.
* Raising Exceptional Children is a support group for parents of children with special needs, where they can connect with other parents, share the challenges of parenting exceptional children and learn about community resources. This ongoing program is on the last Saturday of every month from 10 a.m. to noon at New West Family Place, 83 Sixth St.
Bus tickets and child minding are available for all of these programs. To register, call 604-525-9144 extension 3636 or 604-368-2154, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.