New Westminster casino closes in response to COVID-19

There won’t be any big winners at Starlight Casino in the coming days.

The BC Lottery Commission has ordered an “orderly shutdown” of all casinos, community gaming centres and bingo halls across B.C. All facilities were expected close by 11:59 p.m. on March 16 (today).

article continues below

The temporary closure of all gaming facilities follows the directive issued by B.C. Attorney General David Eby and announced today by Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry.

“BCLC put the health of players, employees and communities at the forefront and took measures over the last number of days, informed by ongoing recommendations from the provincial health officer,” said a BCLC press release. “Most recently, the industry had been phasing in a reduction of service, creating greater social distance in the casinos by turning off every second slot machine, removing seats at table games and stopping all casino marketing.”

BCLC conducts and manages lottery, casino, bingo and online gambling on behalf of the province and private sector service providers operate gambling facilities under contract with BCLC. 

“Together with our service providers, in anticipation that a directive was likely imminent, the industry came to a consensus on March 15, 2020 that casinos should suspend operations,” said the BCLC press release. “BCLC then began working with service providers to plan an orderly shutdown.”

According to BCLC, facilities will re-open only once it receives government direction that it is safe and appropriate to do.

In New Westminster, Starlight Casino is located at 350 Gifford St. in Queensborough.

Read Related Topics

© New West Record
Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter!