The owner of a North Burnaby grocery store is feeling some relief today after being told by Fraser Health he can reopen his business after dealing with multiple cases of COVID-19.
Mike Belich told the NOW on Friday afternoon that his SuperValu store at 1601 Burnwood Dr. in Greystone Village will reopen Saturday morning after being closed for four days.
The original Fraser Health order posted on the windows of the SuperValu store said the closure would be for 10 days.
Belich wouldn’t say how many cases of COVID-19 the store dealt with, but that it was multiple cases that are now “clear.” Belich said the cases were nearly clear when Fraser Health issued the order.
“Everybody’s back now and everybody’s been released by Fraser Health,” Belich said. “We’ve worked really hard to follow all of the protocols and steps required by Fraser Health. We want customers to know this is a safe place to shop.”
The closures came about a week after provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said health authorities would start to disclose the names of workplaces where three or more people have COVID-19 and transmission is likely to have occurred.
The move is meant to stop the spread of COVID-19 in viral hot spots, eventually limiting community transmission.
“By using targeted worksite closures around current cases of COVID-19, we may be able to avoid or delay broader workplace closure measures, which could close entire business sectors,” notes Fraser Health on its website.
Other businesses recently given closure notices across Fraser Health include:
April 14, 2021
- Greystone Super Valu - 1601 Burnwood Drive, Burnaby
- Cheetah Transport - 9785 192 Street, Surrey
- My House Design Build Team - 15356 Fraser Highway. Surrey
- H&M - 10355 152 Street, Surrey
April 13, 2021
- Midland Liquidators - 19335 Langley Bypass, Surrey
- CDI College - 3777 Kingsway, Burnaby
- Genie Seniors Services (Moving) - 5410 Dollyvarden Lane, Chilliwack
- CKF Inc. - 19878 57A Avenue, Langley
April 12, 2021
- Crescent Beach Marina - 12555 Crescent Road, Surrey
- Service BC - Maple Ridge branch - 175 22470 Dewdney Trunk Road, Maple Ridge
- Cactus Club Café - Southpoint - 15079 32 Avenue, Surrey
- 24 Hour Flex Fitness Club Surrey - 213 – 7130 120 Street, Surrey
- Evergreen Kitchen Cabinets - 118-119, 12651 80th Avenue, Surrey
- Blue Pearl Mortgage - 200 - 5570 152 Street, Surrey
- Lago Marketing - 19652 86 Avenue, Langley City
- Sasquatch Mountain Resort - 20955 Hemlock Valley Road, Agassiz
- One Stop Kitchen Idea Ltd. - 12989 80 Avenue, Surrey
- Bobby Hair Studio - 120 - 5738 175th Street, Surrey
- Foot Locker - Guildford Mall - 10355 – 152 St, Space 1016, Surrey
- With reporting by Stefan Labbe, Glacier Media