1. Have a blast on Victoria Day when the Ancient and Honourable Hyack Anvil Battery fires its annual salute on Monday, May 20. Music starts at 11:30 a.m. and the 21-anvil salute begins at noon in Queen’s Park Stadium. You may want to bring some earplugs – it’s loud!
2. Enjoy an evening of dancing and socializing at a May Day Social taking place on Saturday, May 18 at the Royal City Curling Club, 75 East Sixth Ave. The event, which aims to promote and help create awareness about May Day in the community, includes photos of May Days’ past, prizes, food and a cash bar. A may pole will be set up for those who remember how to dance. Tickets are $10 and available at www.eventbrite.ca (search for May Day Social).
3. Buzz on down to the Amelia Douglas Gallery at Douglas College to get up close and personal with B.C. bugs in the Greenlinks 2019: Nature Caught My Eye exhibit, which features close-up photos of damselflies and other insects taken by New West nature photographer Tamara Sale. The exhibition runs until June 15 at the Amelia Douglas Gallery, fourth floor north, 700 Royal Ave. The gallery is open on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
4. Shop local at New West Craft, featuring works by jewellers, knitters and crafters. It’s on Saturday, May 18 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at River Market, 810 Quayside Dr.
5. Take in a show by some of the best Persian folk music performers in the world when Rastak Music Group performs at Massey Theatre on Saturday, May 18 at 8 p.m., 735 Eighth Ave. Tickets at www.masseytheatre.com or 604-521-5050.
Email your Top 5 ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.