1. Check out the displays and demonstrations, visits the fire safety house and say hi to Sparky the Fire Dog at the New Westminster Fire and Rescue Service’s 2018 open house on Saturday, Oct. 13. The New Westminster Firefighters’ Charitable Society is holding a barbecue (by donation) at the free event that runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Glenbrooke Fire Hall, 1 East Sixth Ave.
2. Celebrate National Seniors Day at New Westminster’s Seniors Festival 2018, featuring entertainment, presentations, food, an information fair and a trinket fair. It’s on Saturday, Oct. 13 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Century House, 620 Eighth St.
3. Honour the memory of a loved one at the New West Hospice Society’s River Walk for Hospice – a family-friendly fundraiser that includes a walk from the River Market to the W and back, snacks, swag and entertainment. It’s on Saturday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m. It’s $20 to register or $35 for three or more. Details at www.newwesthospice.ca.
4. Make a poppy for the Poppy Project on Saturdays, Oct. 13 from 1 to 3 p.m. at Anvil Centre, 777 Columbia St. Poppies will be added to a growing poppy blanket that will be displayed in New Westminster for Remembrance Day. All ages are welcome to attend this free event.
5. Have some laughs at F is for Funny, featuring nine stand-up comedy from diverse perspectives. It’s on Saturday, Oct. 13 at 8 p.m. at Anvil Centre Theatre, 777 Columbia St. Tickets are $22 and can be purchased at www.ticketsnw.ca or 604-521-5050.
6. Head to Royal City Throwdown at Massey Theatre on Saturday, Oct. 13 from noon to 3:30 p.m. Royal City Wrestling is hosting this event, which starts with an hour-long meet-and-greet with wrestlers at noon and then features a two-hour family-friendly wrestling show. Admission is free, but tickets are needed- go to Eventbrite.ca and search for Royal City Throwdown.
7. Shop at the second annual Nightmare Before Christmas Market on Saturday, Oct. 13 and Sunday Oct. 14 at the Sapperton Pensioners Hall, 318 Keary St. Folks are encouraged to wear costumes to this “wicked” event that includes items from local makers and vendors, food, character appearances and more. It’s on from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days.
Email your Top 5 ideas to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.