1. Head to Massey Theatre for a Kismet in Concert Style, a collaboration between the New Westminster Symphony Orchestra and Royal City Musical Theatre. They’ll perform music from Kismet, which won a Tony Award for Best Musical of 1954. It’s on Sunday, June 2 at 2 p.m. at Massey Theatre, 735 Eighth Ave. Admission is by donation.
2. Attend the opening reception for Tatanka … Buffalo Skull Art by artist Kim Soo Goodtrack, the newest exhibition at the Plaskett Gallery. Located in the Massey Theatre complex at 735 Eighth Ave., the gallery is open from 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday, by appointment and one hour before and during productions in the theatre. Info www.masseytheatre.com.
3. Support the Group of Five and Friends’ efforts to raise funds for equipment at Royal Columbian Hospital at a reception featuring a live auction and more. It’s happening on Friday, May 31 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Lodge in Queen’s Park. Tickets are $30 and available at 604-522-7196 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more info about the New West-based charity go to www. groupoffive.ca.
4. Enjoy an evening of fun at the Ecole Herbert Spencer Elementary Carnival, which includes carnival games and prizes, a bouncy castle, a cake walk, free activities, and concession and food trucks (including Japadog, Mom’s Grilled Cheese and WakWak Burger.) It’s all taking place at 605 Second St. on Friday, May 31 from 5 to 8 p.m. Admission for people aged three and up ($15 at the door) provides access to more than 20 different carnival games with prizes.
5. Check out a performance by Daniel James’ Brass Camel at the final night of Five Nights at the Columbia. The quintet, which blends 70s progressive rock, funk, and blue, takes to the stage on Saturday, June 1 at 8 p.m. Tickets at Eventbrite.ca (search for Daniel James Brass Camel.)
6. Help raise money for the Seniors Services Society at the Grand Parade, a fun, family-friendly fundraising two- or five-kilometre walk that celebrates and supports aging Canadians and their families. Taking place on Saturday, June 1 at River Market (810 Quayside Dr.), the Grand Parade raises funds to help seniors who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Registration opens at 9 a.m. on the second floor of River Market, followed by a pre-parade gathering on the boardwalk, opening ceremonies at 10 a.m. and the parade at 10:15 a.m. Info at www.seniorsservicessociety.ca.
7. Stroll along the boardwalk and check out the works of more than 40 vendors selling handmade items on the Quayside esplanade and inside River Market. New West Craft summer boardwalk markets get underway this weekend on Saturday, June 1 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at River Market, 810 Quayside Dr.
Email your Top 5 ideas to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.