1. Celebrate International Women’s Day at Recovery Blues Live, which features New Westminster’s Corey Lavigne and performances by award-winning special guests Sue Foley and Rita Chiarelli. This substance-free event, benefiting Westminster House recovery program for women, is on Friday, March 8 at the Metro Hall, 759 Carnarvon St. Tickets are $40 and available at 604-524-5633, www.westminsterhouse.ca and Visions Bookstore (330 Sixth St.). Doors to the show open at 7 p.m.
2. Attend the Royal City Rumble Variety Show at Royal City Centre on Saturday, March 9 at 1 p.m., where guests and acts include globally renowned musician Cassius Khan, the New Westminster Secondary School wrestling team, New Westminster-Burnaby MP Peter Julian and Stefania Butkovic of the Canada Shock Free Coalition and Mindful Mutts. You’ll find all the action in the wrestling ring in centre court of Royal City Centre, 610 Sixth St.
3. Take a chance on Abra Cadabra, when the Abba tribute band performs at Massey Theatre on Saturday, March 9 at 7:30 p.m. Featuring a live band and dancers, you’ll hear songs like Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, Waterloo and Take a Chance. Info at www.iloveABBA.com and tickets at www.ticketsnw.ca.
4. Find out about The Changing Face of Journalism, a panel discussion that will look at the way the role of journalists and local newspapers have changed since the 1990s, especially in the age of digital news. Featuring local panelists, the free program takes place on Saturday, March 9 from 10:30 a.m. to noon in the art studios on the fourth floor of Anvil Centre, 777 Columbia St. Register for the free program (barcode 16632) at 604-527-4640.
5. Celebrate women in STEAM – science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics – during a daylong symposium at Anvil Centre on Friday, March 8. The event, running from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., is part of Innovation Week. Info and tickets ($24.99) are available at Eventbrite.ca (search for Advancing Women in Steam).
6. See some top-notch wrestling action when ECCW Pro Wrestling presents the 19th annual Pacific Cup in the theatre at Anvil Centre on Saturday, March 9. Seating is at 7 p.m. and bell time is at 8 p.m. Tickets and info at www.anvilcentre.com/attend.
7. Enjoy the music, colour and rhythms of Cuba when Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba performs at Massey Theatre on Friday, March 8 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at www.ticketsnw.ca or 604-521-5050.
Email your Top 5 ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. You can also check out our full arts and events calendar listings on our website's homepage at www.newwestrecord.ca.